Wednesday, March 18, 2009

So far, so good

... there's still plenty of wine left.

C. landed safely aboard the ship, and promises via e-mail that he has tales to tell of riding a four by four in -20 degree weather, holding on for dear life on the way out to the puddlejumper. He spent some time in a village of 600 people, one that has been largely self-sufficient for much of the 20th century. And the helicopter ride to the ship was "way cool."

Meanwhile, back in not-almost-Russia, things are going OK. Baby is working with Mama on negotiations, and short of few deal breakers (yes, you must get your diapered-butt out of your baby easy chair and actually sit in your high chair if you want your dinner), we've been working together well.

I spoke at an event tonight of women business owners (thanks to some able assistance from my friend Meg, who is an awesome, I repeat, awesome babysitter), which was both fun and humbling. Except for when she sent me a text message asking what color Stout, our cat is. And that she may have just dragged a strange cat into our house. Maybe. (She didn't. It was Stout the Adventurer, who had braved the wilds known as our back porch.)

But I digress.

The humbling part: Two of the women I was speaking with had husbands who recently returned from being deployed to Iraq. While I may fret and joke about how hard my 10 day stint may be, it ain't nothing compared to that. My hat's off to you, ladies.

No comments: