Thursday, July 24, 2008

You never know who you'll run into

I went to hear Dan Pink speak tonight. For those of you who aren't avid geeky business book readers (ahem), Pink is the former chief speechwriter for Al Gore (the vice president version, not the"A Convenient Truth" version) and the author of books such as "Free Agent Nation."



I also used to run with him.



Whaaaaa?, you say?



Back in 1999, I trained with the AIDS Marathon Training Group, where I raised money to fight AIDS and ran the Marine Corps Marathon. We had a very cool training group of 15 or so, one of whom is a very dear friend to this day. But I've lost touch with most, unfortunately, and Dan was one of them.

Dan and I ran together a few times, and we talked about work a bit during those five and six hours, 105 percent humidity in July early Saturday mornings on the trail. I remember thinking what a cool job he had - writing speeches and books.

Even with the subsequent success, he still seems like a normal, interesting guy with smart things to say, the kind you'd talk shop with or who would be good to brainstorm ideas with. He pleasantly endured lots of people wanting to talk with him and/or sign books, me being one of them.

The longer I live in Washington, the more I'm convinced that it really is a small town on steroids. It's a small business world out there.

No comments: