Monday, July 21, 2008

Workout Work Over

Anyone who thinks that pyramid schemes have gone the way of the parachute pant hasn't tried to join a gym lately.

A friend recommended a trainer who helped her get back into shape after the birth of her second child. Excellent, I thought. I talked to the trainer, a crazy Australian lady who seems like she could give me the exact ass-kicking I require to get moving again.

Then she realized I wasn't a member of the gym where she trains, and broke the news that I'd have to join. OK, I thought. I'm sure they have some sort of three month membership, even if it's a little more expensive.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

How is it, in this Internet-information-everywhere day and age, that they still don't have published prices and can still fish in new members with teaser rates that only apply to one- or two-year memberships (including the bogus "initiation fee" which is waived if you sign on for a year, but costs you $150 (for nothing!) if you want to pay their higher month-to-month rate), all before even getting to the trainer's fees?

Even in spite of the crazy costs, I'll admit I was tempted to try and figure out how to pay for it all, because I'm totally sucked into the idea that if she helped my friend look as great as she does, then it HAS to work for me, right? (Right?? Sure, there's the little matter of the hard work, and physical endurance, but hey, how hard could it be... ). But for now, it's probably not the best option for the family budget.

Goodbye for now, awesome trainer and swanky gym. Hello, late-night infomercial order of "The Firm."

2 comments:

chichimama said...

Check out your local Y, ours has great trainers, who actually teach the free classes as well. And it is 1/4 of the price of the swanky gym.

And if you are going the TV route, I have recently found the free on demand exercise videos, that change once a month or so, so you don't actually get bored of them! And did I mention free :-)?

ridiculous said...

and don't forget, you're the woman who ran 4 (?) marathons.

so, hard work and endurance is something you've already proved to yourself.