Friday, February 8, 2008

Georgetown Time Travel

I walked through the time the other night.

After dinner with a dear friend at Pizza Paradiso in Georgetown, I decided to walk down M Street to see if Lush was open, and if so, I'd buy some of their very cool, but very expensive, shampoo and conditioner. Besides, it was a nice night, and our dinner had been a quick one.

As I walked on that very nice night, the smells I encountered were like time travel. Maybe it was all the open windows and doors in the stores and restaurants. But suddenly, the smell of stale, old cigarettes wasn't bad, but a ticket back to high school gatherings in bowling alleys and the boys I wanted so badly to like me then. I thought of people I hadn't thought of in years, saw faces in my mind's eye as if I were passing them on the street. The smell of cigarette smoke reminded me of bowling alleys we hung out in during high school, when we couldn't sneak into any bars, and made me suddenly nostalgic for friends I hadn't seen or talked to in years, and even for the times and events of high school. This was particularly odd, as I didn't even like high school all that much. I didn't like the social structure, I didn't like myself very much, and I had a thimble full of the confidence than I have today (which, for anyone who knows me now, says a lot). But somehow, I suddenly missed driving to the beach while listening to the Cars, and playing miniature golf on the boardwalk with my crush of crushes in my little high school life.

I laughed when I passed the Izod store, with it's windows decked out in pique shirts with their collars up and whale print pants. Yeah, if they only knew we've so been there before.

As I passed Clyde's, the smell of stale beer didn't make me wrinkle my nose, but instead long for days lounging about at friends' fraternity houses, or running through the snow and the biting wind to wait on line to cram into six inches of space at 44's, where the music was too loud, the beer was cheap, the friends were there and there was always a hope of meeting and smiling at a cute boy. Who maybe, just maybe, might smile back.

A few Georgetown students walked by, talking to one another, trying to look so much older than their probably 20 years each, and I couldn't help but smile to myself. I'm still that high school kid in the varsity jacket, and that college kid with baggy sweater and jeans. And it's nice to go back and visit once and a while.

No comments: