Thursday, August 16, 2007

And so we begin

Maternity leave. Day One.

My belly is huge. I'm sitting on the couch in my little house. And I have no idea whatsoever what to do with myself.

My due date is four days away, this Sunday. I had originally planned to work right up until my water broke, both to stash some extra funds as well as to keep my mind sharp and working. And to avoid the uncertainty that I'm feeling right now.

I haven't not worked in 15 years or so. I'm not very good at being on vacation, especially a quasi-permanent one before a massively life-changing event. I'm not so good with change.

Part of taking these few extra days off was with the great intention of doing all those projects I always say I never have time to do. Organize all our finances. Clean the house. Finish the thank you notes. Learn to how to build a Web site. Figure out my next career goals. You know, nothing major. Just a few little things here and there.

But I'm facing the irony that with unlimited options in front of me, I'm afraid of beginning. I have no idea what to do first.

So, I figured I should at least write. Hey, that's what I do for a living. Maybe if I jot this all down, I'll start to figure out what this all means to me, and sort out some of these strange feelings. Or maybe help someone else to do the same thing.

And shower. Yes, that's probably a good first step, considering it's 1:30 in the afternoon. Yup. A shower's a good place to start.

No baby yet...

No comments: