Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Don't go changing

Money doesn't just stay put. We get a big check, a big bonus, a big payoff, and invest it, and think we've moved our gamepiece to a new spot on the board.

If there's anything this economic mess has taught us, it's that a move from the "Sorry" game does exist. You can find yourself sliding back to start. Just because you know have $100 doesn't mean that $100 will be more tomorrow, like we've all experienced for the past few years.

I just realized friendships are the same way. I'm fortunate to have very dear friends, whom I still equate to value they were at when they first became strong, even decades ago. But it just dawned on me (not for any particular reason, just some insight), that, like investments, they need to be checked in on and maintained in order to remain solid, and hopefully grow.

A good lesson in both the currency of life and love.

1 comment:

Joe said...

The check is in the mail for OBX, I swear. Heh.